We are 1HQ.
We are a global brand design business, with offices in New York, London, Amsterdam & Singapore. We deliver clever or thoughtful, meaningful, or impactful, beautifully crafted design solutions for some of the most well-known brands in the world.
1HQ stands for One Hard Question – and we are known for our ability to shape brand design strategically by asking the right questions. We are always pushing our creative-led business fearlessly towards the right answers.
We opened our New York office in 2016, and from there we grew into the fiercely curious and creatively energized team we are today. New York will always be our home base – an endless source of inspiration.
As the world has changed, so have our ways of working. We are committed experts – strategists, designers, organizers, and question-askers – and have an expanded reach with diverse team-members distributed across the US, from New York to California. We collaborate daily, seamlessly coming together with both planning and creative workshop sessions, that lead to our award-winning creative.
We are looking for a collaborative and highly creative Design Director to join our lively New York/USA “studio”. The Design Director position is one that is placed at the top of the creative team at 1HQ. Here you are integral to the design team, a skilled designer yourself with a passion for good design & clever thinking – but you can also lead a team of designers on projects for brands both big and small. Easier said than done to switch hats like this — but you are eager for any chance to lead direction for design, even if you may be putting on the leader hat for the first time.
You will share our passion for a collaborative approach to creative, building strong relationships where you are trusted and valued by your peers and clients alike.
You are fueled by curiosity, proactively finding and sharing inspiration for yourself and your team’s projects. You will oversee the design direction for multiple brands and lead your designers by reviewing their creative, keeping projects moving, and finalizing creative work for release on time and on brief.
- Report to the Creative Director(s) and assist in creative development
- Comfortable taking projects from brief to concept to completion
- Experience carrying brand design concept across ecosystems
- Experience working with print production, and designing for print
- Familiarity working with design for digital & video production
- Work collaboratively and proactively with a team and clients, tailoring design approach and process to meet the needs of the brief
- Set creative vision and inspire the design team
- Feel comfortable and some experience directing one or more designers
- Confident and passionate in presenting design to clients
- 5+ years experience
- 1+ year experience in a position directing other designers
- Expert in Adobe Creative Suite
- Collaborative, with creative superpowers
- Excellent communication skills – both verbal and written
- Some experience (& enthusiasm) for working in a remote environment
- Remote position with access to shared WeWork locations as needed
- 401k contribution match
- Health, Dental and Life Insurance plans offered
- 22 days paid holiday a year, plus 1 extra day off paid for your birthday
- Business closed 3 days between Christmas & New Years
- Bi-annual trips and 1HQ USA Summit gatherings together in-person
Send your CV to email@example.com